General Information
Nutrition Info
Payment Information
Contact Us


Board of Education Home






Frequently Asked Questions

Is there a link between good eating habits and student performance in school?

Numerous studies indicate that the answer is a resounding “yes.”  According to these studies, children who eat healthy meals (breakfasts and lunches) score higher on tests, have better attendance, make fewer trips to school nurses, and have fewer disciplinary problems.  School meals play a critical role, as they provide students with the healthiest, lowest-cost, most nutritionally balanced meals available.  And, the fact that they are served in the school cafeteria makes them convenient, too!

How do I find out if my child/children qualifies for free/reduced-price meals?

A parent or guardian must first complete an application for free/reduced-price meal benefits which is available in powerschool parent portal. Once the application is received and processed at the Food Service office, the parent/guardian will be contacted and informed as to whether or not their child/children qualifies for meal benefits.

Is my child getting the nutrients he/she needs from school meals?

Yes.  We follow nutritional guidelines set by the government, and analyze meals to ensure compliance with nutritional requirements.  In addition, meals are developed in the pattern of the Food Guide Pyramid, thus ensuring recommended serving portions.  We serve, as much as possible, nutrient dense, enriched, low fat items.  We do not fry any of the foods served in the elementary or middle schools, and (district-wide) we serve only reduced fat or fat-free milk.

How do I purchase meals for my child?

Each school’s cafeteria manager accepts deposits of cash or checks.  If paying by check, please write your student’s name and student ID number in the memo section of the check.  Deposits can be made before school, during breakfast, or during lunch.

How can I check the balance of my child’s account?

Sign up for an account at MySchoolBucks.com and you will have access to your child's balance at any time.

What happens to the money in my child’s account at the end of the school year, or if my child transfers to another Milford school?

Funds left in an account at the end of a year will be available for that student’s use in the next school year.

Does my child have to purchase an entire meal?

All meal are sold as a "combo" meal price. Students must take a fruit or vegetable and a minimum of two other items.

Any student is allowed to purchase just the entrée, or just side dishes, on an ala Carte basis.

Don’t kids sometimes throw away a lot of food?

Sometimes.  Although, for maximum nutrition, we encourage students to take all meal items offered, Milford School Food Service has implemented the Offer vs. Serve Program.  Under this program, students have the independence to select, within guidelines, what they want to eat.  The result:  less waste and increased customer satisfaction.

What should I do if my child requires special diet modifications?

A statement signed by a licensed physician, a physician assistant, or another recognized medical authority must support requests for special diet modifications.  The signed statement must be provided to the school nurse, who will forward it to the school’s cafeteria manager, who will send it to the Food Service Department.  Meal pricing is not affected by dietary modifications. Contact the food service director for more information.

Some times I think that portions are too large, or are too small.  Who sets the size of portions?

The government sets meal portion sizes.  The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) determines age-appropriate serving sizes of meats/meat alternates, fruits, vegetables, bread/grain products, and milk.  Each school district that participates in the National School Lunch Program, and other child nutrition programs, must meet the requirements.  Since calorie levels are also set at age-appropriate levels, older children (i.e. high school age) receive larger portions than younger children. 

How are the menus organized?  Who sets them?

Our menus are organized on a three-week cycle.  This means that the menus (generally) repeat every three weeks.  The schools use a three-week cycle because it allows us maximum flexibility and limits our overall inventory levels.  The cycle menu allows us to incorporate changing students tastes, introduce new items, and evaluate participation rates. 

Why do adults pay more than children for the same meal?

Per program regulations, adult meals must be priced to cover the costs of those meals.  We can offer student meals at a reduced price (from adult priced meals) because we receive reimbursement from the government for each student meal we serve.  Since adult meals are not eligible for reimbursement, we must charge adults the full cost of the meal.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal and, where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at program.intake@usda.gov.
Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech disabilities and wish to file either an EEO or program complaint please contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339 or (800) 845-6136 (in Spanish).

Persons with disabilities who wish to file a program complaint, please see information above on how to contact us by mail directly or by email. If you require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) please contact USDA's TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TDD).
USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer. Washington, D.C.  20250

Copyright 2016 - 2017 - Milford Public Schools

Powered by KMD Hospitality